Sunday 18 December 2011

Psyflemen, Toothbrushes and the Warp

I feel I've been neglecting you lately, but luckily, to make up for this, I have lots of hobby goodness to bring you as compensation!

I finished for Christmas on Thursday, and the first thing that I did (after a spot of Christmas shopping) was to go down to my local GW. This may sound odd to some of you but there is a very good reason for this, as Thursday night is Veterans night, and hence I ended up coming against one of the stores best tournament players. I'm not going to name drop, but he was a really cool guy. Also, I can't remember his list exactly but this is about what he took, and when you run my list one of the last things that you want to see across the table is one of these:

Grey Knights:

Crowe

3, 5 man Purifer Squads 2 with Twin-Las Razorbacks, 1 with Twin-Heavy Bolter Razorbacks

1, 5 man Strike Squad, Heavy Bolter, Plas Razorback

2 Venerable Psyfleman Dreads

3 Psyfleman Dreads.

The amount of S8 shooting was absolutely terrifying and despite this being the first game that I have ever played against Grey Knights I realised the amount of damage that both the Purifiers and the Psyflemen could cause.

So we ended up with Spearhead, Capture and Control. I won the roll off and set about deploying everything. Well I say everything, but at this point I ended up making a huge mistake, not because in the ended it had a big impact on the game, but because it was stupid to do it in the first place. I ended up forgetting about the last layer of foam in my case and accidentally forgetting about 7 of my Shoota Boyz, :facepalm:. I also only realised my mistake after the game was over.

But anyway, I got everything a cover save by deploying around a building and I was good to go. This was until I got siezed, and at this point the words 'oh crap' began to float around the inside of my head.

The guy jumps Crowe into the Strike Squad's Razorback while the Squad itself acts as a deckchair, the Razorbacks move up and then he unleashes a rather scary torrent of fire. His first shot is from the Twin-Las Razorback. He hits my Trukk with my standard Warboss in it, he then Penetrates, I fail my 4+ cover save and he explodes it, leaving my Trukk on my back line, perfect. The ensuing explosion also manages to kill 3 boyz, bringing me down to what I thought was 27, but turned out to be 20.

He then opens fire with the Psyflemen that are in range, and thanks to some good cover saves from me, he only manages to kill 8, leaving 2 left in the squad, who pass their Leadership. Meanwhile, a sneaky Las Razorback moves down the side of the board ready to make a move for the objective at the endgame.

However, despite the loss of my Trukk I do a decent job of clawing the game back. The 2 man Loota Squad (now nicknamed 'the sharpshootas') manage to get 3 shots each at the Las Razorback that bust open my Trukk, I only miss one shot, and the 5 resulting hits manage to tear up the Razorback, killing 2 of the Halberd wielding Purifiers inside. Not bad for 30pts. The second squad manage to fell a second Razorback, but other than this don't inflict any wounds. The remaining Trukk also moves to intercept the remaining Las-back.

The game progressed with the Nobz squad with the longest surviving Trukk getting battered by Psyflemen and the Purifier Squad, although the Purifiers were killed, I was left with only Ghazzy and the Painboy, the latter being picked off by Psyflemen the next turn, and then Ghazzy being killed a turn after trying to chase the Psyflemen out of range of my objective. This did work to some degree, although 4 of the 5 Psyflemen were just about in range.

Crowe whiffed when trying to charge my Boyz squad, meaning my boyz jumped out at him, fired, wounding him only once, and then beat him to death after he also whiffed Cleansing Flame, before being brutally murdered by the 2 remaining squads of Purifiers.

While the boyz moved out, the Nobz moved up to claim the objective, and here is where I made 2 more mistakes. 1. I forgot to go to ground, this would have probably resulted in the Nobz living through the torrent of Psyflemen fire. 2. I forgot to allocate to the Warboss, which resulted in only there only being 2 models left in the unit as the last Psyfleman fired, the Warboss and the Painboy, each was wounded once. The Warboss passed his save, the Painboy, needing a 4+ to earn me a draw, inevitably rolled a 2, earning me some just deserts as exactly the same situation happened at Yorkshire although it was my opponent who was the one rolling the 2.

The game ended next turn and I lost 1-0. In hindsight, I should have set up a large piece LOS blocking terrain in the centre to give my guys some cover from the Psyflemen, but this was again, my mistake and my problem, whereas my opponent played flawlessly, and full credit to him.

I did also get a second game in, but I won't talk at length about this one, this post is already far too long. All I have to say is that I was playing one of the UnOrthodoxMinis crew who was playing Daemons, we played kill points, the game finished on turn 5 and I won 10-5.

Other than these games, I have spent my time assembling Lootas and scrubing at a Wave Serpent with a toothbrush. I may try Acetone free nail varnish remover next time.

That's all for today, Rampage out.

No comments:

Post a Comment